Depression is a mood disorder that causes a persistent feeling of sadness and lack of interest.
These days depression affects as much as 45 percent of the population. It is quite easy to slip into depression than to get out.
Owing to the fact that the pandemic is affecting jobs, businesses and even relationships. Learn about these five things to do to overcome depression easily.
To address depression, we must first understand that depression isn’t a weakness. It is in fact a mental/clinical disorder that may take a long time to treat.
There are so many reasons why a person may be depressed ranging from life ‘s issues, family problems, jobs, relationships, addictions and even career wise.
Depression typically has multiple episodes, and because of how fragile humans are with emotions and adapting to circumstances, a depressed person may have multiples depressional episodes especially if the are experiencing challenges in different ares of their lives and they do not seek help on time.
The first step to overcome depression is to accept the truth that is is happening and be willing to work and commit to the processes of overcoming it. However, overcoming depression depnds largely on the type that the perrson is experiencing. For instance, the process to overcome depression caused by alchoholic addiction is different from depression caused by career challenges or family issues.
But the things we will highlight here will be things to do generally to overcome whatever kind of depression a person may be having. Before delving into that, let’s look at some symptoms of depression and if you resonate with a few of these symptoms, please do these things or seek help as much as possible.
Symptoms of Depression Include:
- Feelings of sadness, tearfulness, fearfulness emptiness or hopelessness
- Angry outbursts, irritability or frustration, even over small matters
- Loss of interest or pleasure in most or all normal activities, such as sex, hobbies or sports
- Sleep disturbances, including insomnia or sleeping too much
- Tiredness and lack of energy, so even small tasks take extra effort
- Reduced appetite and weight loss or increased cravings for food and weight gain
- Anxiety, agitation or restlessness
- Slowed thinking, speaking or body movements
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt, fixating on past failures or self-blame
- Trouble thinking, concentrating, making decisions and remembering things
- Frequent or recurrent thoughts of death, suicidal thoughts, suicide attempts or suicide
- Unexplained physical problems, such as back pain or headaches
Things you should do to overcome depression:
- Avoid Overthinking It- Whatever the cause of your depression, please avoid trying to overthink it. Overthinking has never helped to solve any problem or challenge so why engage in it? The start of depression is a result of overthinking the situation. Instead of over thinking, why not write them down and create a list of causes leading to or contributing to your depression. You can do this in a tabular form. In rolls, create Depression, Causes And Solution. Find below a sample Image.
- Change Environment- Most often, depression occurs because we are glues/stuck in the same environment causing us to be depressed. A change of environment, either to a new house, place etc. could go a long way in distracting us from whatever person or thing causing us to be depressed.
- Work On Each Solution One Step At A Time- You remember the table you create in point 1 above? Now is the time to work on each of the solution one step at a time. Allow yourself to be realistic with the solution. You don’t have to get it all done at once or even get it right. Just take out time to recognize the thing you need to do to solve the problem and work at it little by little. For instance, if you are depressed as a result of alchoholic addiction, you don’t have to stop drinking out-rightly. First, you may have to reduce the number of intake for a month. Let’s say you take 10 bottles per day, you can reduce it to 5 at first and insert something else to replace the other 5 bottles. You could decide to take smoothies or any other drink whenever you feel the urge.
- Share Your Recovery Journey- The road to recovery is hard, honestly, but it becomes easier when you have someone helping you through it all. Doing it yourself may work for you but if you need a monitoring partner to help you understand the situation, talk it through or even help monitor your healing and recovery, that’s pretty much okay. Talk to a friend, partner , family or even a certified depression counselor.
- Celebrate Your Journey: Many people fail to get out of depression simply because they fail to validate their winnings and pat them selves on the back. The truth is, we can’t all get the same out of life. So the little you win should be celebrated. Take time out to exalt yourself and how long you have come. Doing this will help you realize how hard you have fought and put you in a good state of mind and feeling. It makes you feel good with your self.
In conclusion, you need to understand that life won’t be all rosy and even the people you aspire to be like aren’t having it all cool. The road to recovery is hard but if you decide to heal, you have to be committed to working on it. I hope this helps you become a better person and I wish you God’s healing.